The pituitary gland is an endocrine gland located deep in the brain. Despite its small size (on average 7-10 mm), the gland is a very important organ that produces a huge amount of hormones. Pituitary MRI in Orlando is a modern type of diagnostics carried out with the use of an MRI machine. Using magnetic field, the device scans the patient’s tissue in different planes. A lot of the obtained layer-by-layer images are transferred to the computer screen, which allows examining the required organ or anatomical area in detail. Pituitary MRI is currently the only diagnostic method that provides high-quality visualization of the gland. Due to its small size and localization deep in the base of the skull, the pituitary gland is difficult to visualize with other diagnostic methods, such as ultrasound and CT.
Special preparation is required only before performing pituitary MRI with contrast. Before diagnosing without contrast, the patient must remove all metal jewelry and watches before the examination. It is also extremely important to warn your doctor about the presence of metal implants.
- Immediately before the pituitary MRI, you must remove all metal objects from yourself: dentures, jewelry, watches, piercings, etc.
- During the examination, you will lie on a mobile table, while the position of the body will be fixed. With the beginning of the procedure, the table will move inside the annular part of the MRI machine, where you will stay until the end of the procedure.
- It is not recommended to make any movements during the scan, so make sure you are comfortable before starting the scan.
- Lighting and a fan work inside the ring, and in case of any problems, you can always contact the technologist via two-way communication.
- If necessary, the pituitary MRI is performed in the presence of a relative or a close person.
The MRI procedure is strictly prohibited if there are any metal parts in the patient’s body that are attracted by a magnet. Under the influence of the field, they can be heated and displaced, causing damage and burns to tissues. For this reason, MRI is not performed on patients with wire braces, metal vascular braces, and other similar devices.
The diagnostic imaging pituitary is also prohibited for patients with a pacemaker, hearing aid, insulin pump, implanted cardioverter-defibrillator and other medical devices, as radio waves can affect the operation of these devices and disrupt it.
Mark Biondi, DC
Doctor of Chiropractic
Michael Thomas, DO
Touch of Health Clinic
Our center is located near these locations:
Pine hills, Downtown, Winter garden, Metrowest, Altamonte, Apopka, Ocoee, Windermere, Doctor Phillips, Belle isle, Pine castle, Edgewood , Baldwin Park, College park, Millenia, Winter park, Goldenrod, Altamonte Springs, Maitland, Casselberry, Azalea, Oviedo, Lake Mary.