Sciatica is formed as a result of irritation of the nervus spinalis. The cause of such can be deformation of bone structures, and constriction of the sciatic nerve. As a result of irritation, a painful sensation arises, which can lead to lumpy and overextended muscles, the formation of nodules in the muscles and problems with nutrition of the skin. The nerve, under the influence of certain factors, ceases to function normally, which can cause chills or fever in the limb, increased pallor of the skin and a sharp change in its color. These changes already indicate the appearance of sciatica, and also ensure its progression, increasing pain.
Causes of Sciatica
The disease has many reasons for its development. These include:
- Deforming osteoarthritis;
- Chronic stress;
- Aging factors;
- Spine trauma;
- Infectious diseases;
- Excessive physical activity;
- Poor posture.
Symptoms of Sciatica
The symptoms of the disease are as follows:
- Pain in the lumbar spine;
- With excessive physical exertion, overwork, colds, cooling and exacerbation of chronic pathologies, the pain becomes stronger;
- The skin of the leg becomes cold and pale;
- In the zone of passage of the sciatic nerve, there can be both cold snap and fever, burning, itching;
- For a little comfort, the patient has to bend forward;
- By changing the position of the body, the sciatica pain increases;
- Difficulties appear with movements in the lumbar region;
- The sciatica pain partially envelops the leg.
Long-term sciatica is identified by wave-like pain with attenuation and reactivation. The indicator of acute sciatica is sharp aching on an ongoing basis.
Sciatica Pain Treatment
Sciatica requires specific treatment and rehabilitation from several specialists: therapists, orthopedists and neurologists. The following treatment is determined during the time of sciatica aggravation:
- Analgesics with an anti-inflammatory effect to reduce pain (diclofenac, ketorol and other medicaments);
- bed rest;
- Muscle relaxants and antispasmodics;
- Novocaine blockade for acute sciatica pain;
After a period of exacerbation, doctors adjust the treatment method and apply:
- Therapeutic massage, physiotherapy;
- Remedial gymnastics;
- Osteopathic practice;
- Corsets, corrector belts.
Acute sciatica quite easily succumbs to treatment, and our experienced specialists are able to stop this process quickly.
The operation is prescribed by the doctor in the event that the patient’s condition does not improve for more than a few months. Surgical treatment is used as a last resort.
During the operation, bone tissue is removed, which squeezes the sciatic nerve. The most common surgery performed in Orlando Medical Center “Touch of Health” in case of sciatica is microdiscectomy. During this kind of treatment, a small incision is made in the skin. Using a microscope and very small instruments, the surgeon enters the affected area of the spinal space, and removes the interfering parts of the bone and hernia.
What are the Post-Operative Sciatica Surgery Instructions?
Rehabilitation course is an essential post-operative measure. Wearing a corset is obligatory after the operational treatment for the next 1.5 months. During this time, you cannot sit, bend or otherwise overload the spine.
After 2 months, the doctor of Orlando Medical Center “Touch of Health” will recommend a course of exercises to do in the clinic’s own department, and gymnastics to do at home on a daily basis.
Touch of Health Medical Center
Complete a full examination at our center and get a prognosis for your recovery.
Usually, the treatment / restoration of the in our center takes less time, since our specialists help to recover much faster