Spondylosis is a generalized term for a chronic non-inflammatory malfunction of the spine, which is accompanied by gradual destruction of the fibrous ring of = disk and the development of marginal bone growths along the spine centrum. Spondylosis has no clinical manifestations for a long time. Gradually, under the influence of various reasons, the tissues of the spinal column lose elasticity, additional bone growths appear in places of excessive load, and cervical spondylosis appear. As spondylosis is progressing further, vessels, nerves, muscle tissue and nearby organs begin to suffer.
Causes of Spondylosis
Spondylosis may be provoked by the following:
- metabolic disorders, endocrine diseases (such conditions lead to a gradual decrease in elasticity and, later, spondylolisthesis);
- hypothermia (with it, the innervation and blood supply of the spine and tendons are disturbed);
- osteochondrosis (it also maintains persistent pain syndrome);
- heavy physical activity (pressure on the spine increases significantly, which leads to faster erasure in this area, and consequently, cervical spondylosis);
- age-related factors;
- injuries and deformities of the dorsum.
Symptoms of Spondylosis
One of the widely-spread cervical spondylosis signals is pain syndrome. The other indicators of spondylolisthesis include:
- dysfunction of the neck, leading to improper posture and head position;
- restriction of movement in the cervical spine;
- sometimes, in the case of spondylolisthesis, flexion of the shoulder is difficult, less frequently both arms.
Unfortunately, spondylosis cannot be completely eliminated with any treatment. It can only be transferred to the stage of remission, therefore, symptomatic treatment is applied to reduce spondylosis signs. For relief of the erythrogenic process of spondylolisthesis, pain and spasm, NSAIDs, pain relievers and myorelaxants are most often prescribed in treatment. In addition to drug therapy, physiotherapy, massage, and other auxiliary methods give excellent results in treatment. Systematic exercise therapy helps to maintain spinal health in case of cervical spondylosis.
In Orlando Medical Center “Touch of Health”, the operational treatment is prescribed if spondylosis caused the following:
- there are clear signs of pinching of the nerve trunk by the intervertebral disc or bone process;
- spinal cord is squeezed;
- without surgery of spondylosis, irreparable damage to parts of the nervous system will occur;
- chronic pain is not relieved by other means.
It is important to know that operational treatment will not lead to a complete cure of spondylosis, it will only prevent further deterioration. The following types of operations of spondylolisthesis are possible:
- Anterior discectomy. Used if the deformed intervertebral disc presses on the nerve.
- Cervical laminectomy. Removal of bone fragments that press on the spinal cord.
- Vertebral disc replacement. This is a relatively new method for treating cervical spondylosis in which a worn-out intervertebral disc is replaced with an artificial one.
Result of Spondylosis Treatment
Cervical spondylosis patients of Orlando Medical Center “Touch of Health” notice the following positive changes in their condition after treatment:
- improving the quality of life;
- improving blood circulation and the passage of nerve impulses in the spine;
- less pronounced nature of pain;
- muscle spasms decrease.
We apply the latest methods and modern technology for treating conditions of any complexity, and our medical staff is prepared to help you at any time.
Touch of Health Medical Center
Complete a full examination at our center and get a prognosis for your recovery.
Usually, the treatment / restoration of the in our center takes less time, since our specialists help to recover much faster